Unlimited mobile data is back
The state of 4G pricing and spectrum usage, 2nd half 2016 DFMonitor 6th release
Full release report for DFMonitor-PRO
Whats new in the DFMonitor 6th release, 2nd half 2016
Unlimited mobile data is back Context and analysis
- Latest, September 2016, smartphone and mobile broadband plan data caps and prices from 135 operators and 57 MVNOs in EU28 & OECD are now public on DFMonitor.eu
Spectrum usage MB/year/MHz/pop per country (2015) and operator (2015 and 2Q2016)
- Which are the 29 operators that sell unlimited mobile data? Are prices affordable and what restrictions apply?
- How many gigabytes 30 buys across EU28 & OECD markets?
Mobile-first Context and analysis
- Total mobile data volume per country (2015) and per operator (2015 & 2Q2016)
- Monthly mobile data usage per capita (countries) and per SIM (operators)
List of over hundred zero-rated video and other apps in EU28 & OECD countries
- Which are the 42 mobile-centric operators that put mobile first (rather than executing a fixed-mobile strategy)?
- Do mobile-centric operators sell for the same price much higher data caps than fixed-centric operators?
- Do mobile-centric operators have much higher spectrum usage than fixed-centric operators?
List of tariffs in EU28 where tethering/hotspot functionality is blocked or restricted
- Which are the 35 operators that zero-rate or apply a differential price to selected video apps?
- Which are the 59 operators that zero-rate or apply a differential price to selected apps?
- Do operators that zero-rate video sell for the same price much lower data caps than operators that do not?
- Do operators that zero-rate video have much lower spectrum usage than operators that do not?
European Commission proposed wholesale data roaming cap of 8.5/GB compared to domestic retail gigabyte prices across EU28 markets
- Which operators and MVNOs block or restrict tethering/hotspot functionality in smartphone plans?
NOTE: Part of metrics are available in the DFMonitor-PRO
- Why the artificially high wholesale cap of 8.5/GB proposed by the Commission has little to do with real costs
- Why the reverse engineered wholeale cap of 8.5/GB will penalize North-Eastern operators with large data caps and competitive low prices while protecting South-Western operators' cartel-like roaming and domestic margins
- Will European consumers be able to use their domestic large (>5-10 gigabytes) or unlimited data volume plans or their zero-rated video applications and services when they roam abroad in a non-affiliated mobile network?
Subscription content PRO
release report(21 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals