Four year comparative study of unit prices in 4-MNO and in the 4 to 3 consolidated German & Austrian markets
- The gap between gigabyte prices in the 4 to 3 consolidated Austrian & German markets and prices in 4-MNO markets where no consolidation has taken place had substantially increased by September 2016
- While in 4-MNO markets gigabyte prices converged to the lowest (Danish) level in the German and Austrian consolidated markets prices diverged from the lowest level
- Germany, Austria: The gap between gigabyte prices (i.e. unit prices) in the 4 to 3 consolidated Austrian & German markets and prices in 4-MNO markets where no consolidation has taken place had substantially increased by September 2016
- Denmark, UK, France, Italy: Gigabyte prices stopped falling as sharply, flattened out or even briefly rose after 4 to 3 mergers were announced. After the mergers were objected/remedied prices started falling sharply again
- Poland: No 4 to 3 consolidation has so far been attempted in Poland. The presence of Play, a mobile-centric MNO, has pushed Polish prices to lowest among the group of nine countries
- Sweden: Swedish gigabyte prices have not fallen as fast as French and Polish prices. Was Hutchison group’s consolidation strategy the reason? Is 4 to 3 consolidation in Sweden still on Hutchison’s agenda?
- Netherlands: Tele2's anaemic launch has so far failed to shake up the Dutch mobile data market. After an initial fall gigabyte prices were almost flat in 2016. Is 4 to 3 consolidation in the Netherlands still on Tele2’s agenda?
Free abstract, key findings, table of contents (3 pages, pdf) »
Premium report (33 pages, pdf) »
List of all research reports and external articles
Featured research reports
The market is changing. Mobile data pricing and network economics metrics and research reports for industry professionals